Thread: Bumvertising
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Bumvertising

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
two questions.

1: how is giving someone spare crack money to stop harrassing the public explotation?

2: Why on earth would I want to associate my business with a bum?

NeBlis

[/ QUOTE ]As a special employer I would probably implement some drug testing procedure. And work with the state to provide drug consouling to addicts. Many business would jump at the chance to get a public image as helping the less fortunate. Was McDonalds living on mars when they decided to start the Ronald McDonald house charities? Is every business owner that has a Jerrys Kid's bucket at the cash register stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should be able to pay a bum whatever you want if he wants to accept your offer. But, I don't think your 'jump at the chance' argument compares very well. Collection buckets and other charitable donations are no-strings-attached forms of gifting. Only the most cynical call this advertising of charitable giving as exploitation of a cause for business PR. When you start 'helping the less fortunate' by making their help contingent on directly advertising your business, it offends more people, and much of your goodwill diminishes.

But, associating your business with bums is the most obvious reason that this is a bad idea.