View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Beat: actually can\'t move (paging Dr. BBV)

So I'm chilling in front the computer browsing the internets, and my cat strolls into my room, I turn my head a touch to the left to say hello (just a very small movement) and suddenly out of nowhere OOPS POW SURPRISE OH MY GOD SUCH UNBELIEVABLE PAIN. My whole back is very painful, but it's mostly concentrated just under and around my left shoulder blade. I can move my right arm around okay-ish, but if I try and move my left arm above the elbow it causes really severe pain all up and down my back, up to the base of my neck. I can move my head forward and back just a little bit, but turning it to either side is extremely painful. Trying to shift my weight forward in my chair, or move my upper body at all, is like having a knife stuck in my back.

So, I've been sat in my chair in front of my computer for like the last 15 minutes, the pain hasn't subsided any, and I'm basically incapacitated - there's no way in hell I can possibly get up, and I only have the use of one arm. I understand the usual 2+2 response to this stuff is 'lol go see your doctor idiot', but I can't even get out of my chair to do that. There's a mobile phone within my reach, so I could call the emergency services and get taken to hospital. Do I need to? I would feel really, really dumb if I call an ambulance and it turns out that I've just trapped a nerve or something.

FWIW, I'm in reasonable (but not good) physical shape, and have no history of back trouble (and as much as I understand it, back problems usually occur in the lower back area, right?). I've never injured the shoulder before or anything, either.