View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Re: 49er\'s to the South Bay?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the Niners move to Vegas I may end my life. If they move to Santa Clara can they still be called the San Francisco 49ers? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little farther from Candlestick Point to Santa Clara than it is from Flushing Queens to East Rutherford, NJ, but the precedent is already there.

Google maps measures from arbitraty city centers, but I did some quick lookups, and the distance is about the same as:

- LA - Anaheim
- Detroit - Auburn Hills
- Boston - Foxborough (this doesn't really count for naming, though)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the issue is more one of association. Auburn Hills, for example, has no real identity to outsiders the way Detroit does, so the team being located there isn't really changing the team's identity as a Detroit team.

I don't know California that well, so I don't know if Santa Clara has enough stand-alone identity (I need a better term for this) to cause a change in the team's identity with regard to its location, but if that were the case, it might be a legit issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is fair to point out that the Patriots used to be known as the Boston Patriots. They became the New England patriots when they moved to Foxboro