Old 11-02-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Why it is in a Company\'s Best Interest to Reduce Environmental Was

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
short termism in business is often if not always due to the stock market

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, your arguments are laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well argued.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was his foolish argument in the first place. He gave no evidence for it, I was explaining how he was wrong. If you require further elaboration, it's quite simple.

CEOs pay is often tied into to how well the stock performs (I'm sure this is the government's fault). CEOs want money (I'm sure this is the government's fault). CEOs will thus often make business decisions that result in short term growth, including cooking the books, so as to look better in the short term and make more money (I'm sure this is the government's fault).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Private Equity Boom

[ QUOTE ]
"Going private is very top-of-mind with corporate directors these days," said Danos, who's on the board of General Mills. The private-equity guys, says Danos, like to argue that if one company in an industry goes private, it gains advantages, and others in the industry may feel compelled to follow suit.

What kind of advantages? Well, not just relief from some regulatory burdens, according to both Capellas and Danos, but more important, freedom from the relentless quarterly-earnings grind. "In a private company you can focus on what really matters," says Capellas. "Customers and products are the focus, not administration."

[/ QUOTE ]