View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Re: tough spots and a beef with Sklansky (semi-rant)

[ QUOTE ]
I hear what you are saying. It makes me feel sick when the action goes raise, call, and I am in the big blind with single suited aces and I move the slider over to see how much I can get in the middle, and find out I can't get the required 1/3 of my stack in the pot, so I just call and check/fold when I miss the flop.

Position is so important in this game though, seems like it would be difficult to get the best of it when re-raising and not getting a enough of the chips in the pot to ensure you are getting the best of your opponent but also getting too many of your chips in the pot to ensure that you can "play poker". Basically you are often in a situation where you are always committed post flop and your opponent can pick when he goes with you (this is bad,bad,bad).

In position I actually prefer to just call, so that I can possible call on a flop that I miss and see if the opponent shows weakness after that.

I guess it really depends on how deep you are too. I agree that playing aces just for set value stinks, but I find that getting 15-25% of your stack in the middle oop also stinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously strength of sidecards and position matter a lot -- I'm not advocating always raising/reraising no matter what. (E.g., in big multiway pots, bare Aces can be a huge equity dog). I'm just saying that the irrational fear of ending up in a "tough" situation on the flop shouldn't stop you from raising/reraising when its profitable.