View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Re: I hate AQ so much. Hand vs Juanda, Niagara wpt

DVO,
usually you are right. but oop against a very very good player you arent going to be able to control the size of the pot, even if you want to. I mean look at what happened in this hand. Youve now check called twice with a marginal hand (and after checking the turn, im not sure thats wrong). So, if your primary goal in checking the turn is pot control, it hasnt worked. Now, if your primary intent is to enduce a bluff then JJ better be bluffing a lot, because you have put a heck of a lot of chips in this pot.

Against a good aggressive player betting is actually better at controlling the pot, then checking is here because you are slightly over-repping your hand. Yes its very hard for him to call with a worse hand (but honestly how much more money are you making off of AJ anyway) but by betting you will actually put in less when you are behind than by checking.

Id be more inclined to check if the board were less dry because it increases the chance that JJ has a hand he can bluff with (and also that he will check behind the turn and see a free river with a draw). But against this player, and with this board texture I think betting will control pot size more than checking will odd as it may seem.