View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Anybody slow down here? ($3/$6)

Early in my poker career, someone told me that when you flop a set, if you don't win a lot of money or lose a lot of money, you're probably not playing it correctly. This is the kind of hand he was talking about.

Villian had just sat down a couple of orbits ago, and I didn't even have any datamined stats on him...

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $340
Button: $35.50
SB: $133.50
BB: $94

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

<font color="blue">The table had been pretty aggressive pre-flop, so the 3-bet may or may not have meant anything here</font>

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10.5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Well, that's about a good a flop as I could hope for. At this point, I can narrow his range to AA (6 ways), AK (12 ways), KK (3 ways), and maybe KJ (3 ways). I'm ahead of everything but KK, so I see no reason to slow down yet. I didn't cap the flop because I want him to lead out on the turn.</font>

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

<font color="blue">Hmmm... He's not slowing down, either. That tells me that AA and AK are less likely, and KK/KJ are more likely...</font>

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (16.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">He's not jamming the pot with QT, so I'm not worried about the straight. After his 3-bet, though, I was probably 90% sure he had KK. Still, I'm obviously not folding for 1 BB in a pot this large</font>

Results:
Final pot: 22.25BB

So, does anybody slow things down with middle set on a dry board? If so, where?