View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 02:30 PM

Default Re: I need advice on achieving my goals wrt sexual intercourse

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever heard of social anxiety disorder? I've just recently been diagnosed, and am improving my socializing soooo much. Google it if ya want, just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to hear...Out of curiosity, how have you made such improvements?

Also, isn't Xanax indicated in social AD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I exaggerated a bit, I've still got a lot of work to do. What I did though, is I finally got the balls to go to the counseling center on campus, and they referred me to an on campus psych. I've gone through some CBT (Cognitive-behavioral therapy), and so far it has really started to help. Also I've been reading up some self help stuff that has also helped somewhat.

Yeah I think xanax can be used. From what I've read the most effective meds for SA are MAOIs, which I'm kinda scared to take. I've heard good things about kava though, and I might give that a shot.

I got a lot of info here-> Socialfear.com

[/ QUOTE ]

SSRI's are the rave now, (Paxil specifically for what you describe). I'd give that a shot before Kava or MAOI's...I took it for a couple months after I had an issue with panic attacks, social anxiety, and death grieving. I was outgoing to begin with, but this helped me get through it.
CBT has also quite helpful at keeping panic attacks in check. Basically, recognizing the symptoms as they are increasing, breathing, and saying "Dude, chill the [censored] out."

Also, I find that taking Xanax 0.5 or 1 mg before big speeches or events that you know will trigger anxiety or reclusiveness can be extremely helpful. Of course, doctors are reluctant to prescribe this freely because of its addictive and tolerance-building properties (Big downside).