View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: OMG... The Decemberists\' new album.... HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIP IT!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

they are really fun live. as for them being hipster music? i would say far from it. when i saw them live, it looked a lot like a large group of geeks had congregated, but i don't really pay attention to this stupid sheet no more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw them at the Wiltern this past Saturday, knowing very little about them (got a free ticket from a friend). I was pretty much on the same page as Astroglide - having never really heard their music before, gave their albums a whirl on Rhapsody to check it out before the concert. Kind of meh on it, and the guys voice was kind of annoying imo.

Seeing them in concert turned me around on them. They were very good - incredible musicians, tight, fluid set, long-ass encore. The music is very sophisticated imo - there were moments that felt very prog-rockish (thoughts of Yes and Tull ran through my head), capturing the sort of grandeur of that type of music. Lead singer is great live too, his "accent" whatever it is didn't notice as much live, and he is just a great singer. Lyrically smart, clever, occasionally poignant.

Oh and it was basically a 100% hipster / geek vs. hipster/ cool audience. Although I did see Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom in the lobby (she is extremely short).

-Al