View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Clemson @ Va Tech (10/26)

YTD picks posted 3-1 +8.3 units

Clemson -4 over Va Tech (-105 Pinny) 6 units (so far)

I read Iggy's pick of Clemson -5 and almost jumped out of my chair when I saw the line went down. Response to Iggy's post someone said line moved a couple times they tried to bet Clemson. I expected -6 or so.

Reasons why Clemson should be good:

1) Look at who they've played.

Va Tech wins (Nobody!): Duke, NC, Cincinnati, So Miss (minus their best RB), Northeastern
losses: BC, Ga Tech

Clemson: only loss to BC by 1.
wins: Ga Tech (dominated), Florida St (road), Wake Forest (road), NC, La Tech, Temple (yes, even Temple does count as D-1 win)

2) Va Tech will have to be one dimensional & throw. Clemson did a good job shutting down stud in Ga Tech's Calvin Johnson (Va Tech didn't fare as well vs Ga Tech). Here are Clemson's rushing stats allowed (in order of opponents, most recent first):

37-88
29-111 (Temple, best yards per carry average!!!)
31-31
29-33
22-54
38-102
37-110
34-47

Some of Va Tech's offensive rushing totals:

28-33 (BC)
27-42 (Ga Tech, they were down early & threw 53 times)
33-145 (Cincy)
38-102 (Duke)

Not a stellar rushing team, while they have had success throwing in some of those games....but still, Duke is Duke.

3) Clemson offense. Freshman Spiller is continuing to get better and provide dominant Clemoson rushing attack another option to Davis. Chansi Stuckey, WR who's been out for past 3 weeks, expected back. They did lose top guard Roman Fry for year on 3rd play vs. Ga Tech, but they still had running success Saturday w/ junior backup.

I would hope to see a game where Va Tech struggles to get to 13 and Clemson pulls away with the constants you love to wager on: running & team defense. Plus a QB (Procter) that has had some good performances and is getting his top target back.

Might be my POTY by the time Thursday rolls around. Get your bets in early!