View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: JJ - Top Set Raised on the River

[ QUOTE ]
I was afraid you were going to say that. A couple questions:

1. Are you convinced that this TAG wouldn't 4-bet here without the nuts, or is it like 90% of TAGs in general? (I'd agree that a 6-bet has us beat just about always, but I don't think I could fold it anyway).

2. Do you agree that this line is inconsistent for 89? If so, I assume you put more weight behind the 4-bet than the inconsistency.

3. If a 4-bet always has you beat, shouldn't you fold to it? Would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - mainly it's my read on this Villain here. We've played enough to know each other pretty well. When I raise preflop and bet every street, he's putting me on {AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 77, AJ, maybe KJ or QJ also} When I 3-bet him, I think he's putting me squarely on {JJ, TT, 77} as the vast majority of my range. I'm also devaluing TT out of his range a whole lot, since I'm almost positive he's 3-betting that preflop almost all the time.

2 - his line is a bit inconsistent for 98s. I know he'd call preflop with 98s with that many people in. And then he flops the nuts on a rianbow board with the guy who's betting on his right. So I lead into him, and he just calls, thinking that he's relatively safe and will make more off of the other 6 players left calling. (Also he probably has the same read as I do on UTG, namely that he checkraises a lot) On the turn, same thing, 4 more players that may call. So his line does make at least some sense for 98s. So I definitely put more weight behind the 4-bet. Also, his play seems a bit inconsistent for any hand, as I think he'd play two pair or a set differently also.

3 - I don't think I can fold to a 4-bet, there's still a slim enough chance that I'm good. The question is, is there value in my 3-bet? Even if I'm 100% confident that I could fold to a 4-bet, or if I have to call it, are there still enough worse hands that he's playing like this, and that he's calling me with?