View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 01:08 AM

Default Re: best drummer of all time

[ QUOTE ]
TT,

I admit not knowing [censored] about techinal aspects of music. I just find it hard to believe a guy like Robert Fripp would [censored] around with someone not top notch for so long. Maybe you caught him at a bad time or whatever and everyone involved in that Union garbage came off pretty bad. It sounds like it must've been a complete mess, I bet you have some interesting stories. What do you think of his solo fusion stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll just leave you with a Union story. It was supposed to be an Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe album (ABWH). The producer was a huge Yes fan and did Far Far Cry with Anderson so they trusted his judgment. However the band didn't know he also started working at the same time with Trevor's rival group. He literally copied parts from each others projects and submitted it to the label - they were the only ones who knew what was going on. I called it their Milli Vanilli record because we used so many session musicians to replace the band member's own recordings with session musicians because some of them were old (Steve Howe), had arthritis, etc.

Some months later I am at a party at a club to wrap up another record I was working on. This guy named Trevor walks over to say high to the artist and the producer and then walked away. I turned to the producer and said wait a second, is that Trevor Rabin from Yes (they played the Garden that evening)... of course it was. So I walked over to Trevor and re-introduced myself by saying Hi, I am "TT", we never had the chance to meet before, I worked on your last album. Trevor replies "Really? What did you play?". That confused me, I told him "I was one of the engineers on the album, I didn't play anything".

Trevor deadpanned "well none of us played on the album either" and walked away. IMHO that was one of the best music industry "moments in time", I was so lucky to be a part of that conversation... it was so bizarre I will never forget it.

PS: I LOVE FRIP!!!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]