View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Do Christians, Muslims and Jews all believe in the same god?

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, you're right. It's just frustrating. For me, Christ is the meaning of life.

[/ QUOTE ]
And for others he isn't. Do you get so upset every time someone holds a position that's different than yours?

[ QUOTE ]
Whereas for any other topic, one would yield to an expert or someone who knew what they were talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are talking about a personal belief. You are no more an expert on whether god exists than an athiest, Muslim, or anyone else. Neither is the pope, for that matter.

[ QUOTE ]

One would think that someone with some experience of God (whether real or imaginary) would know more about the God of their experience than someone who claims that God doesn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you have more knowledge of your own subjective experiences than someone else. What does that prove?

[ QUOTE ]
But it seems that instead of accepting this, those who believe God doesn't exist think that they are therefore entitled to make pronouncements about things concerning God.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only pronouncements most athiests/agnosics make about god is that they see no evidence that he exists. You may feel differently about this, which is ok by me.

[ QUOTE ]
An atheist claims that there is no God, and so does not worship God. He has no experience of his own religious tradition to relate to the Mohammedan one.

[/ QUOTE ]
You do realize that many athiests practiced a religion for many years, and many also have years of religious training and study? You talk as if no athiests have any clue about religion, when many (if not most) belonged to a religion at some point.

[ QUOTE ]
For example, one might be inclined to respond-- how can you say all that about Islam? Just because it's not the same as your religion it has to be wrong?

Well, yea. What do you think religion is, a favorite color?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying, but your loyalty to your chosen religion has zero bearing on whether you are correct or not.