View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Sklansky\'s Handicap

[ QUOTE ]
Utah - you're right, it's impossible to prove in reality. That's a pity. Still, we can work in terms of a thought experiment. What if, hypothetically, we were to poll everyone on Earth with an IQ > 180. And what if 80% of them disagreed with David on this issue? That should eliminate the impact of selection bias, right?

[/ QUOTE ]Respectfully, I think you missed the point. This too breaks the original handicap model because it is no longer blind and thus the automatic edge in the original handicap model (barring my awesome insight into the chance that the lower scoring player could actually be right more often in a binary decision model) no longer applies. For example, Skalansky might have been -EV going in but stumbled onto something brilliantly insightful and obviously correct that the other player missed (or that every 99%+ IQer on the planet missed). There is no way he should think he is wrong.

I think he would agree that if such an unlikely person existed that was smarter, more knowledgable, and without bias were to challenge him in a future epic battle of the two most brilliant minds on the planet and if the topic was unknown at this time and the scores were directly relevant to the topic he would lay odds on his opponent. But, only he can answer for sure.