View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Personality traits affect game (long)

In response to the last couple posts-

I wasnt trying to "universalize" human behavior in writing this thead. I am merely trying to organize or cluster typical behavioral patterns I see on a regular basis in poker games to underlying personality traits or emotions that make them easier to identify and understand.

I am not a psychologist and do not profess to be one.
To be totally frank, I find your statement that "the real personality traits are neuroticism, et. al." to be entirely irrelevant and missing the point of this entire thread. I never stated that the traits I listed were part of some kind of grand valid accepted schema accepted by the psychological community. The categories I used simply are traits, types, profiles, characteristics, or even emotions that are frequenty exhibited by people who play poker. I never tried to assert that they governed all of human behavior. Perhaps I should have substituted "bullfrog" for "rigid," or "adventurer" for "impulsive".

I play with players who exhibit these types of profiles everyday, one poster said one of my profiles describes him to a tee. This disproves the "illusory" statement, as I have never met this person, nor has he met me, and yet he can at least relate to the things I describe. I think the important thing here, is not that he is just one person, but that he can relate to everything described in one particular trait to a tee.

I have to think that you and perhaps that other gimmick account that responded negatively are perhaps someone responsible for the management of this website, and want to make sure that my writing isnt taken for fact or as an accepted viewpoint because of lack of data or whatever reason. It should be obvious to the reader that most discussion along these lines is going to be mostly speculative. That's all ever meant this thread to accomplish, promote some good discussion on the subject. I didnt mean to profess to be some kind of human psychological behavior authority, which I definitely am not. If anything it helped to clarify my thoughts on things lurking in my conscious.

-J