View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Roger, I\'m queening it as we speak (NC Thread)

Morning update:

I woke up still somewhat drunk. I found an e-mail from my advisor saying that it wasn't time to panic, asking when my proposal was due (heh), and saying he'd go over things with me on Monday afternoon (heh). I found an IM from Str8fish telling me that being wrong wasn't such a bad thing (heh). As I was explaning to him on IM that yes it was indeed a very bad thing, I was going over my data analysis script because I thought of a stupid error that there was no way I could have made, but I might as well check anyway. That mistake was not made. However, I did see another mistake! Seldom am I this happy over having screwed up, but it does give me hope for my before thenqualifier. It means that these results "could not be completed in time for my qualifier" (heh), and that I'm going to fly on my previous results from which I can still argue to my committee that I have some research worth doing and that I should be allowed to continue in grad school and earn my Ph.D. doing it. I then stumbled off to church to pray very hard.

I don't think I'm going to touch that data again before my qualifier, or at least not enough to see any results. I may process it enough so that I can instantly see the results AFTER I take my qualifier, but I'm leaving my project in Schroedinger's box up to that point. Leaving my project in a state of superposition between being dead and alive is just fine for the purposes of my proposal, but I'm in no mood to open up the box and pull out a dead, radioactive cat and presenting it to my committee.