View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Varying the size of your opening raises - useful or waste of time?

I started with the Phil Gordon school of thought, raise the same everytime that way you're opponent can't pick up a tell on you. While I don't see any wrong with this, I prefer Harrington's advice better.

The advantages of varying opening raises. If you're married to the idea I'm 3xBB everytime I open you can't take into account the opponents' playing style to act behind you or their stack sizes. One of the best aspects of varying raise sizes pf is the deception it offers you postflop. If I raise 5xBB with 8-7s from MP and you call with A-K how can you not love a 8,A,7 flop? You're likely putting me on a big PP and feel your Aces are ahead. Another HUGE benefit is being able to minraise with air to steal the blinds. If you have minraised a few times with premium hands your opponents have to give you some respect when you minraise. That reason alone is why I prefer it to raising the same amount each time.

The downside is sticking your neck out occasionally raising to 5xBB with SCs and risking getting multiple callers with AA on a minraise. Overall I like the extra flexibility varying opening raises gives you.