View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: bad luck? variance? rigged rng?

Don't get discouraged, but also don't expect much sympathy here.

I will give you some *hopefully* helpful words. I'm assuming you are in the early stages of your development. It's fairly natural to go through this cycle of "this can never be profitable" and it's natural to want to post on these boards that "you guys are all full of [censored]" (I too was guilty of having my own whine thread). But stick with it, use this forum as a resource, and study- it'll come around.

Do yourself a favor and don't get timid after being sucked out. Why? By not protecting your hands you allow other players to cheaply see draw that miracle card.

You may also want to consider this...I went to a poker seminar given by the math dept. at my school, and while not incredibly helpful, the idea of implicit collusion was discussed- essentially mass numbers of fish unknowingly teaming together to take down the shark. By letting many weaker hands stick around, you are increasing the number of cards left in the deck that can crush you. This may be contribute to that feeling of "I get sucked out all the time."

So in summary, protect your hands, bet for value with your strong hands.

To the more experienced players, feel free to fix my post on any errors I made.