View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Re: My GF\'s parents are scumbags thus far (Fin. Aid)

Right well that is the problem. She doesn't think she can move out on her own and claim independence because she has SOME money but not a ton. And even working through the fall won't necessarily make that easy...

It is funny. Her parents provide for her mostly. She pays her cell phone bill and maybe (I think) her insurance for her car. But beyond that her parents provide for her entirely. However, they do so in a way that keeps her under their thumb. For example, they wouldn't let her buy her own car with money she had. They said if she did that they would stop providing X for here (where X was a bunch of stuff)....So basically they have her under their thumb.

xwill, Very similar situation. However, they won't even give her the INFO about their taxes and stuff. You can't even APPLY for aid without that information. So that is my main concern to get a fix for....

t0ne, She still lives with her parents and will continue to do so until next summer (when she moves down here). This makes her listed as an independent. like xwill said, the FAFSA/loans places expect that most parents are normal and will at least help their kid figure stuff out. Her parents, on the other hand, insist on hindering her....

Drewdevil, I have tried telling her this many times. I wish nothing more than for her to do so. In fact, my mother has said that she could live at our house (since I'm at school basically full time) and then declare herself independent. My girlfriend won't do it becuase she doesn't think it would work and that she "isn't strong enough for that right now" and what not....

So with all that information added....what do you now think? Just in general even....