View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Does it EVER make sense to give up some value in a +EV coinflip?

I'm finally coming around to thinking in terms of EV instead of locking in results w/ a hedge. I took three 3-team parlays earlier today in MLB (mistake...I know)

Anyway, I now have 3u wagered and stand to win 10.8u on the last game which I consider a coinflip. I actually had to fight with myself to grow the small nads needed to NOT lock in a ~3u guarantee with a ~6u hedge. Thank you experienced posters here for drilling that lesson into threads I've lurked!

I am wondering if there are EVER any circumstances when it would actually make sense to give up a +ev coinflip situation? My first thought is no, but then thought: what if your entire bankroll wound up on such a coinflip?

Granted, that should NEVER happen w/ proper BR management.

Are there any other situations where wimping out for a guaranteed smaller win would make sense, even considering situations one should never find themselves in but could happen to n00bs or via misclicks? (Not including hedge bets based on breaking news/injuries/other circumstances making the final action not a coinflip)