View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Psychology of losing even when your \"ahead\".

Be proud of yourself at least your not putting your money in needing to catch up and hit dream cards.

Are you a trappy passive type of player giving free cards. The no limit game I play in locally players try to trap me and give me free cards or let me in cheap with their pocket aces and my suited connectors bust them.

Or if you play easily dominated hands you will often get outdrawn. In High stakes poker on game show network Negranae kept flopping straights and losing on the river or turn, but he was playing junk and his oppents easily outdrew him. The nuts on the flop is not the same as the nuts on the river. If you play top hands the hands you make will not get easily outdrawn.

Try moving down in stakes if you bought in for example $50 a night in a small stakes game you could buy in 8 times and play a lot more hands, and the statistics would start to level out.

Remember its poker even when you are a huge favorite your opponent has some outs, why else would they put their money in. But you do have to gamble to win.

Your bankroll is to small if your upset about losing $400, you probably have leaks in your game such as fear of flopping, symptom: all in preflop. Not protecting your hand, syptom: Not raising and calling or giving cards out cheaply. Try reading Harrington's third book with a grey cover it is a workbook and will analyze your play and help you seal leaks in your game.

When you finish a session ask yourself did I play well, if a guy sucks out I think it's great, how else could I win consistantly if people didn't put their money in with crap.

Last week a guy in a tournment went all in and got a gut shot on the river hitting a four outer, He laughed and bragged how I would be going home crying, I laughed and said nope that's why I'm here. When players suck out I don't usually say anything negative but act happy for them and congratulate them. I wouldn't recommend you tell other players "that's why I'm here" or they may start to play better.