View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Re: TOP: poker is one big game

Nice post cowboy. This is the exact problem I ran into.

In short I had a loose goal of making XXX amount a week playing poker. I guess it worked ok. Then the 1K Challenge in 7 Days thread hit. I made 988$ that week from poker, which was by far the most I have ever made in a week playing poker. At that point I realized my goals were way off base. My old goals were holding me back money wise, as I would hit a mark then go do someting else. That is why I recomend IF you have a goal to take a look at the situation every 3 months. After the 1K challenge my goal became more agressive. Something had changed between the time I set my old goal and the 1K challenge, and I did not even realize it until the challenge brought it out of me, mostly because I was not examining it on a semi-regular basis. You might decide not to change a thing, that is fine. But dont sell yourself short like I did by not taking a close look at it.

Overall I do think goals are ok. The 1K challenge was a goal and it opened up some doors for me. BTW I would like to thank the person that posted the challenge, whoever he was.