View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 07:56 AM

Default Re: TOP: poker is one big game

[ QUOTE ]
Originally posted here by Gigabet
The problem comes to life when a person starts their downswing, which we classify as "losing," they begin to suspect that they may "fail" and rather than become susceptible to the shame that comes with "failure" they decide to quit. They stop because they fear things that aren't even real

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true.

Personally I no longer care about much. A little over a year ago I crashed my car driving home round twisty country lanes at ~90mph trying to get home to go to a NYE party.

I rolled my car 7 times - ending up upside down in a ditch. Had car come to rest on the floor the roof would have stoved in and I would have got more than a bit of a headache. I walked away with a little more than a scratch down one arm and consider myself very lucky.

Of course I have probably overcompensated but I don't have any hangsups now about rejection or possibly being dissappointed in the future. I go for everything.

A lot of people fear failure and the shame that goes with it. Once you realise that for the most part what other people think about you is irrelevant and you should not base decisions based on what other people might think at some point in the future you have a lot more fun.

Ahmer Vahedi - "in order to live. First you must be willing to die."

I say in order to truly live you must first have almost died. Only when you have nearly lost everything - and you really understand how very fragile life is and how you need to squeeze the very most that you can out of every day that you have, then you start to really live.

Poker is no different I think. Only when you truly do not care one iota about the chips you have on the table and can happily push them into the middle when you are sure you have an edge. Only then can you really play.

If you are thinking about this session and your results this week so far then you care too much about what is on the table. Poker is one big game and the only result that matters is the one on the bottom line when the day comes that you finally call it quits.

I read somewhere that you should play as tho it means nothing to you, despite the fact that obviously it means everything.

Am I on the right track here - or way off base?