View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Grade the October Magazine

Editing: I didn't like the formatting. The minimum width of the window required to read the articles was too large. The black-on-gray is readable for me but not great.

Strategy Articles: I thought these articles were pretty solid, although I didn't feel that I learned a whole lot. The "Developing and Using Reads" article was particularly interesting; I would love to see more articles that explain a series of hands instead of just one or two. The Stud/8 article is very solid, but I think it should address multiway situations as well, since high hands become even trickier to play when there are more than one players going low in the pot.

Sklanksy's article made me think a bit more about how I approach short-stack situations but I really haven't come to any solid conclusions.

General poker/Poker and other fields: Mason's article was thought-provoking. Poker and Finance 3 had some interesting ideas but not as much depth as I would like. The Bankroll Requirements article I found somewhat light, and felt that its content could have been included in the previous article (where I found the mathematical derivation interesting) or in the promised 3rd article.

Other gambling: Not of much interest to me, though King Yao's article looks solid and presents a nonintuitive and probably valuable result.

I'm giving it a B- due to the HTML issues; contentwise I think it's a B or B+.