Thread: river play?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 01:41 AM

Default Re: river play?

Pre-flop: I don't really care. Some people are comfortable calling with these hands, while others aren't.

Flop: If you are going to play this hand in the BB, please do something here. Betting out is fine. C/Ring is also fine, especially against players who c-bet anything. You want villain to either release his overcards on the turn (always his most likely holding) or make a bad call.

Turn: As played, bet-fold is best unless villain almost always fires again on the turn, in which case check-raise is also good.

River: This is a bad card... he took a freebie on the turn, which could very well mean he had overcards with poor showdown value (unfortunately, this often means KT-KQ) or a flush draw. I really doubt a player with such aggro stats would freeze up on the turn with 77-88 when he should understand that you're usually just peeling. Additionally, he would often bet his ace (this is where a read becomes very useful). I think we can safely rule out 77-88, and discount the possibility that he holds Ax. Therefore, bet-fold seems like a poor choice. We're hoping to get a call from a discounted and unimproved Ax... yuck. Check-call also seems bad. Sure, he may take a shot at you with something like QJ/QT/JT (not spades). On the other hand, most players will happily check behind with Ax. Check-fold seems to be best with the pot so small, though that's hard as hell to figure out at the table. Hope for check-check and move on.