View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 AM

Default Re: When to bluff...?

PF is a clear fold. His raising range isn't near wide enough for you to take QT (suited or not) against him, particularly from MP. I'm not even sure I'd like it if he was on the button, his raising range is still pretty tight.

What are you calling with on the flop? You have one overcard with a weak kicker, a backdoor straight draw and a weak backdoor flush draw. You have nothing.

What are you trying to represent on the turn? If he respects you as a player, he isn't going to put you on 89, because he knows you wouldn't call the flop bet with just a gutshot. That's the only hand he can really be worried about here if he has any hand at all. Edit: Eh, with 89 you're double gutted, so that becomes slightly more plausible, but I still don't think he thinks you'll call a raise with it.

He might fold AK/AQ, but that's such a tiny range of hands he could have. You say he might have a small pocket pair too... how does that help your situation? 88, 99 and TT are never folding in this spot, and 55, 66 and 77 have sets. So you're basically praying he has AK/AQ or 22-44, AND that he folds those hands.

This play is basically a hail mary play, and its terrible. Bluffs have their time and place but in limit games these places are rare, AND the bluff has to represent something that your opponent fears you might have. He probably has no clue what you have when you raise the turn, and he may just make a WTF calldown.