View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Stupid stuff I think about

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you already know that your odds of dying on any one flight remain the same. That is, it's a perfectly acceptable risk to get on a plane and get where you're going. Then again, if you continue flying it is almost certain that your 2 million year life will be cut short due to an aviation fatality.

Btw- I'm sure it's obvious I'm just using air travel as an example. You could apply the same rationale to almost everything else as well. Driving to work, crossing the street, swimming, etc. etc. The bottom line is that a 2 millioin year life span would do us little good. Which, until I looked at it in this particular fashion, I never realized before.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the chance of dying from Something must always be 100% in both scenarios. So, if the chancen of dying from an a plane go up, then the chance of dying from a chicken bone go down...which seems a bit strange.
Cars are a higher risk ( in your example) so wouldn't they eventually crowd everything out over sufficient time and there would be next to zero risk fo dying crossing the street?

I wish there were some math nerds on here to lay it out for me.

interesting, luckyme