View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Limit Omaha Hi - general advice wanted

Limit Omaha Hi is like playing the lottery. Just about every draw always has odds to continue so basically it's playing a game of hoping your river card falls instead of the other guy's. Unless your opponents are retarded (which at 10/20 live, they very well may be) you can't really outplay them that much. Just make sure you're always on nut draws and not chasing things like underfulls or Queen-high flushes and the like.

Try to pick preflop hands that can make the absolute nuts, things like suited aces, paint pairs and wraps. What hands you should raise preflop? I never really figured that one out ... raising preflop turns it into a total crapshoot where you just deal them all out and see what wins. Raising pre trades a small amount of EV for a lot of variance in a game with enormous variance as it is.

This game can be very frustrating ... you can lose 30, 50, 80 bets in a single session very easily while playing better than all of your opponents. If bankroll is at all an issue ... if losing, say, 100 bets makes a big dent, then I would play tight during the omaha to reduce variance and exploit my edges at hold'em where a solid player has a larger advantage anyway IMO.