View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: $20 Party Gammon Bonus

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, it's much easier to check whether someone is cheating in backgammon, but it's pretty easy to see that most poker players are not cheating, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's easy to figure out: he always takes a long pause before making a move - it takes time to import new position into analyser and do the analysis.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I've seen people talking about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've seen people talk. Do you know enough about backgammon to tell whether the people talking were cluelessly speculating or had some real information?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't really remember at which forum did I actually see that but people were discussing about using GNU Backgammon, Jellyfish to analyze positions in real time as easy way to beat average Joe. No one said "I did it!", but ...

Oh, I do know a lot about backgammon. Played it for years (only in real life) with friends, studied the game thoroughly and really enjoy it. And when the game started to spread over net to be played for real money I was really delighted. And then ... BAM! Analysis engines - one click away, people talking about cheating (which is practically really easy to do) ... maybe I'm just paranoic, but after seeing all that I never gave it a try and didn't play a single match (online).

Of course this means you're right and if you say so ("Far fewer people cheat than you might imagine") I can't oppose.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Google for Backgammon free open source GNU bla bla program that also has analysis - there is one, I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Sure" means you are speculating.

[/ QUOTE ]

In order not to speculate I found it: GNU Backgammon
It's free, excellent and has very strong engine - almost as good as commercial Jellyfish