Thread: Nihilism
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Nihilism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although I think a system of ethics can arise in response to compassion - one feels compassion and therefore realises you should act to minimise suffering of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a jump. You're adding the moral ingredient on the sly, here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly adding a moral ingredient, I didnt mean it to be sly though. What I was suggesting that the moral rules follow because of compassion, not that compassion somehow arises from the rules (If the compassion comes in response to the imposed rules then I agree with you that it is a lessor form of compassion).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I would want to differentiate between indifference and compassion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that indifference is really possible in the first place. Isn't it strange though, that the idea of an indifferent universe is typically seen as bleak and cold? When in reality it's only neutral. There's nothing cruel about it - at least, no more than there's anything compassionate about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is strange and I agree that it is neutral (from my rather rudimentary knowledge of nihilism (ie what I get from 5 or 6 posts on the subject)) - but to me it is not compassionate, nor cruel/cold.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This isnt my understanding of compassion - I think it is inherently about putting yourself in someone else's place and experiencing suffering "second-hand".

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can't feel compassion for yourself? To me compassion is just the opposite of cruelty. Do you agree with me that a person can be cruel to himself?

[/ QUOTE ]
No not really. I dont understand this (and am surprised that a praxeologist (?) could think this).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would a true nihilist be indifferent to how they themselves were treated? Or would they care personally but recognise that it didnt really matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe there's such a thing as a "true" nihilist. I don't personally know of anyone who's indifferent to how they're treated. I doubt it's possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
No I dont think it's practically possible, unless you were insane or perhaps ridiculously enlightened. But is this what the "ideal nihilist" would think?