View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Where do you get your News?

[ QUOTE ]
TV

i'll occasionally watch CNN or Fox News. but i feel like television news is more for entertainment nowadays than actually providing solid info from various perspectives. perhaps this has something to do with how ratings-driven media outlets have become.

i like tim russert's meet the press program on sundays. used to watch some o'reilly factor until about 4-5 yrs ago. will occasionally catch the bbc world news on pbs or some other public type channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, or many of the programs on CSPAN that follow current events and relevant political topics like Washington Journal, Q&A, Booknotes, America & the Courts, Road to the White House, etc. Obviously the Sunday morning programs like MTP are necessary viewing, but that's because they (in some ways) make as much news as they report, particularly if Russert is interviewing someone like VP Cheney.

It should also be noted political magazines are often viable informtation sources if you're merely trying to glean perspectives -- The Weekly Standard, The Nation, National Review, etc. -- none of which are objective but all of which feature contributions from notable authors and pundits.