View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: How Do Non-Rational Players Succeed in Poker? Part 2

Hi Justin,

Good post. I just want to comment on this:

[ QUOTE ]
However, these poor fundamentals [exhibited by the "feel" players] are often overshadowed by expert hand-reading skills that allow these players to do well in high stakes games.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just that, IMO. It also can help them that until these fundamental flaws are well-understood by their good opponents, the flaws make them unpredictable in a way that can be profitable. I recall a post a while back about 2 spots where H@ll called giant amounts of his stack with 53 (suited, I think), clear mistakes. He got tremendously lucky in those pots, I think, drawing out. However, there have to have been other situations where he'd get into a spot with a hand far weaker than his skilled opponent would ever believe he could hold, given the prior action, and thus could successfully bluff his way out. To H@ll (or whoever), this could just be a consequence of having "luckily learned" that he could draw profitably with many hands that are clearly losers in reality.

Additionally, it's a tilt trigger for many logical players to see a player who "knows better" get lucky when making an obviously horrible play. So, the non-logical players benefit from the ways that their opponents incorrectly adjust to the idiosyncracies that were part of the "lucky learning" process.