View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Re: tips for getting full-time offer on Wall St.

[ QUOTE ]
I want to get a full time offer on Wall St. after I graduate in one of the top ibanks at the desk. I know what it takes

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously not. I'm sure you see why.

[ QUOTE ]
and I am willing to work as hard as necessary because I want this job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy to say, harder to do, much harder to prove. Are you up for 3 consecutive 110 hour weeks? Are you up for 3 days and 2 nites str8 working on the same pitch, leaving to shower and change only, and then flying down to ATL yourself to deliver by noon, after finishing the books at 7 am?

Are you really? Think hard. Because I've yet to meet the I-banking analyst who does, and I've worked with and met several hundred of them.
Okay, maybe 2 or 3 of them were so lifeless and dull they didn't mind having no life, like, ever. Maybe 3 of them.

[ QUOTE ]

1) I go to a good school but its not in the top 10 core schools from which these companies recruit.
2) I do well in school but I do not have a 3.7 mainly because I have been on the rowing team throughout all of college which was a huge commitment. It’s my senior year and after a lot of though I quit this season.
3) I interned in a foreign ibank this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irrelevant x3.
I had a 3.3 and bagged the best Ibank in the known Universe out of undergrad. No one cares about your GPA. No one cared when I went to IBank 2, and then to IBank #3. Never came up. [Obvs by then work experience counted more, but still.]
I talked more about craps in 90% of my interviews, or basketball than anything else.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, my main concern is surviving the resume scan which is very tough. Should I put poker among interests? How can I stand out among all the 4.0 candidates from Harvard who’s older brother is a senior analyst at Bear or JP?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) You will NOT get a job with your resume, pretty much ever.
2) Listing Poker/bj/ and/or craps is a must-do.
3) It's all about the networking.

[ QUOTE ]

There is a number of people here with experience in trading so if anybody has any tips or insider advice that is not covered in any of the presentations, books, career offices and online, please let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trading is not I-banking, this post now makes no sense to me. Which do you want?