View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Would you save 10 million people?

[ QUOTE ]
that is what i was talking about when i said logically none of the arguments against me have made any sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they do. Yours are based on the assumption that your life is all you have, all you could ever possibly have, and that it is therefore of essentially infinite or near-infinite value, as far as you are concerned. Your opinions therefore make perfect sense, according to straightforward logic, but your postulate is not chosen for any particularly logical reason, any more than mine or anyone else's is.

Tennenbaum is right in that this quickly breaks down into a non-logical argument, depending heavily on one's values and assumptions about life, which are chosen for reasons of culture, upbringing, life experience and mystical, arational motives. Perhaps a better theologian / metaphysicist than me could turn one side or another into a purely logical argument, but I certainly can't.

I'm intrigued by the comment an earlier poster said about giving away all of one's money, which at first glance doesn't hold water, but I find it difficult to articulate why, or why the notion of giving up one's life 'feels' so much more correct than giving up one's fortune. I will say what personal experience has taught me: if one is going to make oneself a martyr, it's best to choose a form of martyrdom where one doesn't have to live through the consequences.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it has anything to do with logic so much as personal opinion.

But god forbid anyone try to argue w/ your infallible logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, hiss, kitty. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

BTW: Having this discussion with Audrey Tautou seems reasonable enough, but including the slutty-looking Asian girl is kind of a mind-bender.

Rollin' with the fools One Time can't beat,

T. d A. y C.