View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: tips for getting full-time offer on Wall St.

Some answers to your questions:

1. What school exactly do you go to? Most places actually don't really care about the school you go to, they just frequent the ivy leagues, because any idiot knows, the 'smarter' crowd is there.
2. What's your GPA? You saying you don't have a 3.7 means diddly, is it more like a 2.7? Rowing team is good, they like candidates that compete in sports.
3. So what, you interned just like 90% of the candidates, won't hurt, but won't help much.

How I got into the industry...you are right, they will probably throw your resume away unless it says Harvard/Yale, etc. Seeing as you don't go there, I'd suggest you network with someone in the company that went to your school. Drop him an email and say what's up...I went to XXXX school just like you, wondering if you wanted to meet up for lunch to chat about how I can break into the XXXX field you want to get in on Wall Street. Turns out the first trading firm I worked at, the President was an alma mater at my school, so I got to bypass all the crap interviews, interviewed with him and the CEO and the rest was said and done, hired.

Tell them you play poker and blackjack, I remember when I was talking to some Susquehanna reps at a job fair, one of the hot chicks asked me if I played blackjack...I was totally caught off guard and I said yeah, I play blackjack every so often when I go to Atlantic City and Vegas. That's all she asked and took my resume. Couple days later, I get a call for first interview...don't know if it was the blackjack answer, but I figure if they ask, it must be somewhat 'important'. Visit www.thevault.com, good site for this kind of stuff.