View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Learned an important lesson today

I don't think it's so clear cut that your river push was bad. If your opponent was the sort of person who tends to overvalue one pair hands and would call your push with AQ, your push was a good one. It depends on the person.

I do think the probable reason you pushed the river was actually your problem. I feel like you pushed the river in order to force the opponent out of the pot. I used to feel the same way, and I would make too many aggressive river moves for the wrong reasons. I would even bet big on the river when I was confident my opponent had nothing or something I beat, and I was happy & proud when he folded & showed that I did have the best hand.

That's not good, though. When I was making these aggressive moves in order to push off even weaker hands, it was really a kind of weak-tightness. I just didn't want to play poker in this spot. I was uncomfortable. I didn't know how to handle the situation. So I make these big moves, they all fold, and I feel good! But I should feel like I made a mistake becasue even though I won the pot with the best hand, and even though the opponent might not have put a single chip in no matter what I did, I still made a mistake. I was aggressive for the wrong reasons.