View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Reselling from slickdeals and fatwallet

There's money to be made and I didn't mean to discourage you as much as warn you. My main point is that it's hard to make decent money, especially if you think rebates are the way to go. You can only make a 100 here and a 100 there and that's after months of waiting and staying on top of rebates. So a few hundred/month won't be hard to make, but a few grand/month with be. The good deals that are easy to be resold die almost immediately. The process requires a ton of time investment. I used to hang out on Anandtech (and FW when it took off) during the dotcom boom and made good money, but things are alot harder now. The top guys have scripts written to monitor price changes for some vendors and they know immediately when to jump on a site and buy up everything of some item. I guess I failed to adapt and found the time investment not worth the trouble.

As far as Craig's List, my opinion on selling goods there is negative. You get a ton of flaky buyers who don't come through and low ball you like crazy until the last minute. I have sold event tickets on Craigs List and that works 'OK' in the sense that even after all the flake outs and false interest you will get sales, but unless you're working on very tight margins, I found Ebay much better because you commit buyers to a purchase immediately and lock in the money. In retrospect, I had always wished I listed all my tickets on Ebay to make sure everything gets sold in time.