View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Ankeny: Poker Strategy: Win with Game Theory

This book is valuable because Andy Bloch mentioned it in a post on his web site and said he read it many years ago and it was, in his opinion, one of the best books ever written on poker. That alone wouldn’t make it valuable but for the fact that it has been out of print for many years and probably had a pretty short print-run to begin with. So, the book is somewhat scarce.

This book has been WAY over hyped. It is not nearly as good as people are trying to make it. I bought this book way back when it was new (I’m thinking 1981 or 1982) and at the time, I remember thinking it was great. However, I have recently re-read it and, comparing it to the books of today, it is pretty much useless (I guess if you played a lot of pot-limit 5-card draw poker it would be okay). I doubt that Andy Bloch himself would think it was that great if he re-read it.

I would sell it in 2 seconds for $40 if not for the hole it would leave in my extensive poker-book collection (I have nearly 150 poker books). It is not worth $4, let-alone $40.