View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: How can Sklansky-Chubukov rankings help me?

The main value I found is it makes it a no-brainer to decide to shove preflop with certain cards. SNGPT has the same information, but adds in a "expected calling range" that can be very hard to figure out on the fly.

With SC numbers, their calling range doesn't matter. If SC says you shove, you shove (mostly anyway). SNGPT is better when you're a bit outside the shove range and you've got some reads.

NLTAP has killed my game in other ways though. The whole pot manipulation bit has trashed my SNG performace. I need to step back to a more conservative game. NLTAP talks about creating a pot size big enough that if you hit (say with 44 and get trips) that you'll stack your opponent. Fine for cash games were you can buy in more chips after the hand, but in a tourney, 3 or 4 misses and you've lost a decent chunk of chips.

Yea, NLTAP talks about tourny vs non-tourny, so it's my fault [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. As usual, new concepts hurt me more than help me until I get used to them.