View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: 100/200 A4o on the button

[ QUOTE ]
Just for the fun of it, lets play a game. Lets assume I am the villain in the BB. Lets also assume that if I had 77-AA, I would 3bet preflop even though many times I will call with these hands in this spot.

When I checkraise that flop here is my total range:

22,A2,K2s,Q2s,55,A5,53s,54s,65s,75s,85s,Q5s,K5,86s ,87,98,T8,J8,Q8,K8,A8,66,76,43s,64s,97s,96s,74s,A3 . Lets also say I would checkraise the flop with T9s if I had a backdoor flush draw. I also ignored those times we have the same hand with A4.

Once I checkraise the flop you are an 3.1-1 underdog against my range. What this means is you atleast have to get to the river, how you should get to the river is certainly up for debate and I know thats the major topic of this thread. If I were playing against myself, I would probably take the boring line of call the flop checkraise, call the turn, and fold the river. I will now explain why I would fold the river against me.

Here are the 4 common showdown lines you can take here:

1) 3bet flop, bet turn, check river
2) 3bet flop, check turn, call river
3) call flop, call turn, call river
4) call flop, raise turn, check river

I would take none of these lines against myself becuz I would not feel a need to showdown against me. The reason this is so is becuz if a good player is still in this hand by the river, I will not bluff even close to the theoretically optimal frequency in this spot becuz I dont think the good player will be folding very often at this point. This is a very dry board, and if the good player is still in the hand on the river I will assume he is showing down very often. So this means no matter which line the hero takes, If I bet the river, the hero can fold knowing he doesnt have a profitable call.

So none of those 4 showdown lines should be taken against me. Line #4 should only be taken if the hero thinks he has some FE from better hands. Since im a fish, line #4 is bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Although I began this post by saying that against me I would call the flop, call the turn and fold the river. I guess it turns out that this is not the optimal line against me. I suppose 3betting the flop, checking the turn and folding to a river bet would be the best line. Against me this is probably the optimal line becuz If a good player takes this line against me on this dry board, I again will assume hes showing down, which means I will not bluff the river at an optimal rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the kind of post I was looking for. But against typical players, don't you feel that the turn check induces a bluff from busted straight draw type hands and you should consider paying off river? Does that then make you want to change your strategy on the previous streets?