View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Re: QQ caps and donk still likes to play

[ QUOTE ]
I just meant: his raising range given the action is not just AA, KK, and 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

I capped preflop. If he's ever seen me cap and show down, it will have been a big hand. I can't remember whether he has but he won't have seen me get much out of line with my raises. He won't think in figures, I daresay, but he'll figure I raise about the same range he does.

He's passive and my read is he rarely raises. You think this guy is raising with no pair? Maybe you're right, but why?

Your answer seems to be "because his PF range was wider than AA/KK/99". But we're not PF. We're on the flop and I've bet out. I say he'll call all day with anything less than a big pair, so AK/AQ/AJ are all out. I think TT is very, very unlikely, first of all to threebet PF and second to raise after a cap. I discount QQ because that's just too unlikely given I have the same hand but okay, that's in there. JJ is possible, I grant you, but I think, again, you have to consider it more likely he'll just call it down and hope I have something like AK/AQ.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I wasn't advocating "raising for information." I meant: raise for value, villain's response to your raise gives you a better sense of where you stand as an added bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show me why you think I have value here.

Against a LAG, yes. Against a TAG, yes. I will threebet both. But I think mindless autoraising when you have big cards is a mistake and I think it's a mistake right here in particular.

What do you do when you're capped, by the way? Will you fold to the cap, or are you calling down? If you're calling down, you spent two more bets to find out what I think I already know.

[ QUOTE ]
See KingOtter's post for more.

[/ QUOTE ]

King Otter's post is a roadmap to losing money. Raising the turn is pure spew here. If a very passive player, after I've capped, raises this nothing flop and bets the turn, I am not raising either expensive street without improving. It's demented. At best I lose two bets if I have the sense to fold the turn to his threebet. (But how can I? If his "range" can be behind on the flop, it can still be behind on the turn, so how do I find a fold?) Worst and most likely case, he calls the raise and donks the river and then I have to call "because it's a big pot". Or am I leading the river? Folding to his raise?