View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 12:22 AM

Default Re: God Emperor of Dune

[ QUOTE ]
I feel it's a flawed masterpiece. It looks great, has great casting, excellent dialogue delivered in a very iconic way (lifted nicely from the book), and it works, apart from being terribly rushed and therefore being quite unsatisfying as a filmic experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, Lynch made a movie over three hours that Herbert loved, but the studio didn't like it. Even the extended DVD version is not Lynch's version. Too bad they didn't give him final cut.
The movie was mediocre, I bet it would have been a masterpiece behind Lynch (with the final cut, which was the version Herbert saw).

I also liked the inner dialogues in the movie.

[ QUOTE ]
The bit where he makes it rain at the end is terrible though, and the Baron was a bit too much of a laughing fat clown for my liking. The guy that played Gurney Hallack was awesome, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how you mention Gurney, or should I say Captain Piccard.

[ QUOTE ]
As to the books, Dune and God Emperor are the best by far. I almost think of the middle 2 as bridges between these two. They are still good reads, but not quite as engaging and immersive as the 1st and 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually loved Children of Dune, I thought it was on the level with Dune. But now that I read God Emperor, I decided I have to reevaluate my rankings.
Dune Messiah, I thought wasn't as good, although it did have many memorable things, specially the appearance of Duncan as ghola. I guess Dune Messiah wasn't as good because it is much shorter. Instead of being three stories like Dune, it is only one, it feels like Dune Messiah is Part 4.