View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: 6H AK vs. UTG allin

I think your instincts are right in that it's not a "great" call based on your read, but I'd guess that a "typical" big stack player here is pushing a number of dominated hands. I default call with AK on a push when I have < 10 BB in a non-bubble situation, but it's incorrect a not insignificant % of the time, since (for example) if you guess your opponent isn't pushing worse than AJ, you're not much of a favorite (even if you can "eliminate" AA/KK as that player would be more likely to raise less to induce action, etc.).

The most this guy is on the hook for is a little > 1/2 his stack, a lot of players will start pushing crap Ax hands with the big stack (even UTG) when losing means they keep a healthy stack (whereas if they had, say 5k and there were a couple of 4k stacks this would be less likely). This "relative stack-size information" should make you feel more comfortable calling with AK here. Also, the fact that it's semi-SH probably increases the odds he's pushing crap A-x hands as well (as well as KQ, KJ, KT, etc.).