View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:41 AM

Default Whiskeytown\'s Reply

I am not Jewish or anywhere near close - I am a Biblical Studies Minor so I did spend a couple yrs in the book -

I've got other very close references that state they Pinned his hands and feet is the closest to the true Hebrew - this is in English, translated by hundreds of biblical experts - of course, that will mean nothing to a student that only wants the Torah for his justification - no biggie to me.

from www.bible.org -

--------------
22:16 Yes, wild dogs surround me –
a gang of evil men crowd around me;
like a lion they pin my hands and feet

like a lion, my hands and my feet.” This reading is often emended because it is grammatically awkward, but perhaps its awkwardness is by rhetorical design. Its broken syntax may be intended to convey the panic and terror felt by the psalmist. The psalmist may envision a lion pinning the hands and feet of its victim to the ground with its paws (a scene depicted in ancient Near Eastern art), or a lion biting the hands and feet. The line has been traditionally translated, “they pierce my hands and feet,” and then taken as foreshadowing the crucifixion of Christ. Though Jesus does appropriate the language of this psalm while on the cross (compare v. 1 with Matt 27:46 and Mark 15:34), the NT does not cite this verse in describing the death of Jesus. (It does refer to vv. 7-8 and 18, however. See Matt 27:35, 39, 43; Mark 15:24, 29; Luke 23:34; John 19:23-24.) If one were to insist on an emendation of (ka’ariy, “like a lion”) to a verb, the most likely verbal root would be (karah, “dig”; see the LXX). In this context this verb could refer to the gnawing and tearing of wild dogs (cf. NCV, TEV, CEV). The ancient Greek version produced by Symmachus reads “bind” here, perhaps understanding a verbal root , which is attested in later Hebrew and Aramaic and means “to encircle, entwine, embrace” (see HALOT 497-98 s.v. and Jastrow 668 s.v. ). Neither one of these proposed verbs can yield a meaning “bore, pierce.”
----------------------------------
there is a segment of the Jewish Population that does believe Jesus was the Messiah - they keep pretty quiet tho - except for plagerizing Jackie Mason's name for a pamphlet here and there -

the NT suggested that Jesus didn't come just to be the messiah for the Jews, but the entire world - They still get favored nation status in the eyes of the OT - but I don't think they like their religion being "co-opted" and redone - but the NT states that that gospel message is for everyone who wants it - that can be offensive to a religion that could be easily classified as xenophobic during that time.

RB