View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Suggest 1 thing to do in these 7 Midwest cities

st. louis...do you want something signature or something you'll like?

most out-of-towners hate imo's pizza, but that's about as st. louis as food gets. they have toasted ravioli too. i love imo's, but don't take this as some kind of food challenge. it's not, people honestly hate it because of the crust (cracker) and cheese (provel - don't mistake it for just provolone). the people that like it on their first try usually say, "oh hey it's fine". i haven't seen anybody love it on their first shot. if you're just stopping through and eating 1 or 2 things, i don't think it's worth it.

it happens to be dirt cheap, but i think the best meal at any price here is priyaa (indian restaurant near highway 270 and dorsett, intersected with mckelvey). chicken pakora or mysore masala dosa are both great lead-offs (the latter is way bigger), the must-buy is lamb saag a la carte w/garlic naan. chicken korma (better than the chicken tikka masala) a la carte w/poori is a good choice if you have 2+ people and you're really hungry. my gf and i usually just get pakora and lamb saag and split it.

if you aren't into indian or want something a little nicer, make a reservation at trattoria marcella. they have homemade toasted ravioli that is to die for. somebody has to order the rigatoni. i'm not kidding, it's not an option. somebody has to order it. anyway, that's my favorite italian place in st. louis and not too far from the stadium.

a more lighthearted option that's pretty close to the stadium is an irish pub called mcgurk's. SIT OUTSIDE. lots of great stuff there, the last time i went we got irish chips, chicken wings, and reubens. their reubens are fantastic, but so are their grilled cheese sandwich, artichoke toasted ravioli, corned beef, etc.

ted drewe's is a st. louis standard, frozen custard. it's good, but fritz's is clearly better. go there and order a turtle if you want to really try the stuff. and everyone should love it.