View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Beat: Just found out I have ADD

[ QUOTE ]
Went to law school, lawyer for a little bit, hated it. Trying B school in the spring.

I do have ADD (or maybe it really is overdiagnosed). My buddy is a resident at UCI medical center and he mentioned it to me. He thought I always knew that I had ADD! The conversation went like this:

Him: how the hell did you get through law school and big law with ADD?

Me: What are you talking about?

Him: You have ADD right?

Me: NO!!!!

Him: Yes, you do. I have known you for 7 years. I always assumed you knew, but didn't want to bring it up.

Me: STFU!

Him: I'm dead serious. I'll wager any amount of money that any doctor will come to the same conclusion after observing you.

Me: Haha.

Two hours later, I call my ex girlfriend who is a therapist.

Me: Hey, do you think I have ADD?

Her: Yeah. I have always known. You didn't?

BEAT!!!!!!!!!!! LAST ONE TO KNOW. Apparrently everyone knew but me.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a huge difference between being ADD and not being able to focus on boring stuff. Just because all your buddies say "DUDE you have ADD!" isn't a diagnosis ( and no your gf the therapist isn't either ).

ADD is real, but it is improperly diagnosed in about 9 out of 10 cases. It is a diagnosis that was ( and still is ) hugely abused. You can even google for admissions from drs about 5 years or so ago that they were paid by pharma to increase their diagnosis of ADD.

More than likely you have a short attention span, and a lack of desire to focus on tasks you find less than worthy. Matter of fact -- I'd lay 2:1 ( $100 ) on it.