View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Opera 9 vs Firefox Review

Thanks for this thread. I played with Opera for about 20 minutes last night and I have the following questions:

Customizing the toolbar: I can't seem to do anything. I'd like to remove the search box since I can use the address bar for searching. I can't figure out where the "home" button is. I can't drag-and-drop stuff to different locations. I currently have everything (except tabs) on one line in firefox, which I love (file, edit, etc, back, forward, etc, address bar, google search bar).

Tabbed features: I currently use drag de go. The number one feature I like about it is that I click a link, drag it and release to open in a new tab. I don't see how to do this in Opera. This is a deal breaker for me. I don't want to have to hold down a key, or right-click -> menu item.

The second drag de go feature I love is highlight any text, drag and drop, and a new tab is opened with google search results for selected text.

Mouse gestures: I don't use these as I customize my mx1000 mouse instead. I would need to redo this for opera. I haven't looked at it yet but I assume/hope it won't be an issue.

If anyone can chime in with comments on my issues, I'd appreciate it.

P.S. That ad blocking procedure is very slick, though it will be a pain to duplicate filterset initially.