View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Why is America so obsessed with being \"buff\"?

Why is it that a good portion of the *edit* younger guys *edit* just cannot stop working out? Guys who seem to have huge necks/pecs, and arms so large they can't put them straight against their bodies...ever since high school I've started seeing these guys almost everywhere. I think it has gone from being fit to almost grotesque.

My friends' little brothers who are 12-15 are all lifting/benching instead of playing sports. A couple of my friends who had normal (not skinny) physiques in freshman year of college have gained at least 20-30 pounds of muscle and are still drinking protein shakes. There is no way they can fit into any of the shirts they wore 3-4 years ago.

To any OOT gym-rats....why do you do this? Is it like the social pressure that women have with being thin? Do you guys get more chicks this way? Does it just becomes routine and you have to do it?

P.S. I live in NJ and suspect this phenomenon might be particularly bad due to proximity to the Jersey shore. Are other parts of the country also like this? I know that Asia and the parts of Europe that I've seen are definitely not.