View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:52 AM

Default Difference between Limit and Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo

Yesterday I was playing with my poker tracker databases and poker grapher and found this drastic difference between my total winnings in limit and pot limit respectively.

Limit results: (Most hands were played at the $0.5/$1 level at party between January and May this year. My play was tight preflop (VP$IP 19.6) and standard postflop, which means I played my strong hands and my draws if the pot odds were sufficient.)

Pot Limit results: (These hands were played since June mostly at Party, Paradise and Prima at buy-ins between $25 and $100. In PLO8 I am slightly loose preflop (VP$IP 34.1). Postflop my main goal is to get as much money in the pot if I am the favorite to win the hand otherwise I will mostly fold.)

Of course I knew that I was an only slightly better than break even player in limit. But nevertheless looking at the results was perplexing. I can see two possible reasons for the above results. Either I suck at limit, then let us discuss which skills are particularly important for limit, or one needs a lot more hands in limit compared to pot limit to get in the long run.