View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Bet-3-bet turn against wrong villain

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is very, very, very, very tight. Maybe he has just switched over from full ring or something because his VP$IP is 15% over more than 400 hands. If he has any sort of sane read on me then the 3-bet after the king hits kinda gives at least trip tens away.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think I played it good until the turn 3-bet. I check-raised the flop just so he would pop me on the turn with an overpair but when I 3-bet, especially after the king hit, then the cat is out of the bag if he has stats on me.

I think I should have called the turn raise and, against this specific player, then check-raised the river. I don't believe he would have raised me if I had lead out again.

Edit: Or rather, I believe he will almost always bet the river when he pops me on the king turn but I think I'm in better shape if I can get 2-3BB in on the river than if I get 3-4BB in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand is a good example because 3-betting this turn is so reflexive. 99.9% of us 3-bet this without much thought (me included most of the time). However, when we analyze the action and read we can safely say that villian almost never has 55 or Tx based on the preflop action. So, when he raises we can put him on AK or AA a very very high percentage of the time. If we call his turn raise he will bet the river almost 100% of the time with this hand and generally pay off your river CR. We make 4 BBs. If we 3-bet the turn he will sometimes fold and sometimes call down, but never cap with those hands unless he's tilting. We make less than 4 BBs when we 3-bet.

I wouldn't call this hand a common situation but it isn't that rare, either.